Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson

I still can't believe he's gone. I was at home watching the Dodgers game when I got a news alert in my inbox saying that Michael Jackson had suffered a heart attack. I don't know why, but I didn't care much at the time and immediately assumed that he'd pull through. Soon more news alerts began pouring in and it was all over TV that the legendary King of Pop had died. I refused to believe it until a big name (and more credible) source confirmed that he was. After probably what was about an hour of scouring the internet for a credible source while at the same time hoping that he would pull through, CNN confirmed.

It was very well known that Michael had his problems. However, when someone dies, you don't focus on the negative stuff. You remember them for all the good things. Think of all the music, the shows, the entertainer that he was. Many artists today would say they wouldn't be where they are today without Michael paving the way for them.

Usually when a celebrity dies, it's a sad thing, but I don't care that often. This was different. After the news, I started to listen to all the songs I had by him. I went on Youtube to watch Thriller. I almost got choked up hearing all the tributes to him on the radio the morning after. It surprised me how much I actually did care.

They said it after Elvis died, and the same thing applies here because Michael was really the Elvis of another genration. "The King is dead, but his music will live on forever."

No comments: