Monday, July 13, 2009

Random thoughts

So again, I haven't posted anything in awhile (maybe I should just stop saying that), frankly because there's been too much depressing shit going on.

Like I've said before, I typically couldn't care less when celebrities die, sure it's sad, but most of them haven't affected my life in any way. The past few weeks have been different. I've gone over the impact of Michael Jackson's death, but two other people stand out.

If you're a fan of NFL football, you know who Steve McNair was. Simply put, the man was a warrior on the field. Much like Michael Jackson paved the way for many black musicians, McNair did the same for not only black quarterbacks, but also an inspiration for players from small schools like Alcorn State with dreams of one day playing in the NFL, regardless of where they came from. In the year that the Titans were the AFC Champions, McNair was so battered with injuries that he couldn't even participate in practices. He toughed it out every week leading his team one yard short of winning the Super Bowl. Regardless of his personal life, it doesn't change the incredible player that he was and I hope that's what he's remembered for.



George Stroumboulopoulos: "Martin Streek (and David Bookman) are so important to this city, what they do for music ... Streek when he’s on the radio... quality wins. They believe in music. They are the snipers waiting by the window keeping everyone on their game. Because their music knowledge is impeccable, their passion is unrivaled and they’re not afraid to tell you. They understand how important a record can be to your life."

I'll admit that I rarely listened to Martin during live-to-air broadcasts on the Edge because I'm not really a big fan of the format. However, I'll never forget how Martin hosted the Thursday 30. Catching up on whatever was new, whatever was current, and the ground breakers with what personally I think was one of the best voices in radio was something I looked forward to every Thursday night. I'm sad to say that I never did take up his weekly invitation to everyone to swing on by the studio for some free Pizza Pizza and wings, but I wish I had now, if not just to meet the guy.



R.I.P Martin Streek, you will be missed.

Anyways, enough of the depressing stuff. The Home Run Derby is on right now. It'll help me momentarily forget about how much the Jays fucking blow right now. This is my pick to win the thing:



P.S. What is with this fucking garbage strike that's dominating the news lately? Do we really wanna turn into Buffalo?

No comments: