Monday, June 14, 2010

Shenanigans!

So a few weeks ago I attended the Pickering Ribfest. I didn't actually get any ribs because they were about 25 bones a rack and I'm really cheap/broke.

Instead me and a buddy dropped 6 bucks each on these giant steel mugs of root beer.



I've never had so much pop in one sitting in my life but it was definitely worth it.



Anyways, sometime during our stay, we passed by this booth selling energy drinks where people were filling out little sheets of paper and putting them into a box.

The girl told us that they were running some contest where you can win iPods, boats, vacations, typical contest prizes.

We both entered and left after she tried to sell us some random energy drink I had never heard of. I told her "we'll come back when we're thirsty". Then proceeded to avoid that booth every time we passed by it.

Flash forward two weeks later and I get a call from some long ass number. We have caller ID so I don't pick up the phone when I see a number that's longer than your regular 9 digits because it's always some dude asking if I want to subscribe to the Toronto Star, if I need windows, etc. (What the fuck happened to that National Do-Not-Call list anyway?)

This number has been calling for a good week now and I ignore it, but my mom picks up. She hands me the phone mentioning something about the ribfest and I take the phone.

Lady on the line named Barbie (who the fuck names their kid after a doll?) tells me I've won some vacation to Florida.

I've won quite a few things in the past that were actually legit so I figure I'll hear her out since I actually remember entering this thing.

She goes over the details of the trip, blah blah blah, then at the end of this 10 minute long explanation she nonchalantly mentions a promotional fee of 480 something bucks and moves on to her next point.

You sly little bitch.

"Sorry, you said there's a promotional fee?"

"Of course!"

"Uhh..."

"It's a $5000 dollar trip!"

"Uhh...not interested..."

"Are you sure? If you don't claim it now I'll have to give this amazing opportunity to the next person on the list!"

"Sorry."

*more details on trip* (At this point I stopped listening)

At this point I could have called her some really mean names like I wanted to but I didn't and just hung up the phone.

What a fucking scam, and what's sad is some people actually fall for this and end up with nothing but a lighter wallet.

Now if you'll excuse me, a Nigerian prince is offering me $800 000 if I just give him my credit card number and lend him $20 000.

What a sucker this guy is...

UPDATE:

No comments: